Sunday, December 15, 2013
Week of 12/16/13
Dear Parents and Students,
On behalf of my family I want to wish all of my students and families a very Merry Christmas and enjoyable and SAFE winter break. Please note that there will be no school from December 23-January 6th. Students will return on Tuesday, January 7th.
Here is what we will be doing this week leading up to Winter Break:
Reading:
This week will be a review week in Reading. We will be covering: Story Structure (Beginning, Middle, and End) focusing on the Polar Express with Interactive Flipcharts on our Smart Board! We will also review the 5 W's (Who, What, Where, When, and Why) related to the Polar Express. Main Idea will also be reviewed and Cause and Effect. I traditionally use the Polar Express book to integrate these Reading Standards especially before the holidays. Please note there will be NO spelling/phonics skill this week. Our only homework will be to read 30 minutes nightly and review for our Social Studies Test.
Social Studies:
Friday we sent home our Social Studies study guide. Please review with your child prior to the test. As stated last week, our Social Studies test will be Tuesday, December 17th. For the remainder of the week, we will continue to review Sequoyah and the Trail of Tears doing a culminating writing activity in which the students pretend to be Cherokee Indians! We also have a fun activity planned during our Social Studies block with Mrs. Tanksley's class for Science and we will be making Ice Cream! Should be a great week of learning!
Writing:
In writing we will be wrapping up our All-About Books and the students have been working on topics such as: Cheerleading, School, Outer Space, and Family. I am eager to see the finished pieces! We will also be doing a verb activitiy called Angry Verbs (inspired by Angry Verbs) and the students will be creating their very own Angry Bird and highlighting verbs.
Other Notes:
I have sent out an email blast with a link to sign up genius for our upcoming Holiday Party scheduled for Thursday, December 19th. Please note the most important items are the Mason Jars. If anyone is willing to pick these up, I would greatly appreciate it!
Mrs. Tanksley and I are doing a cookie activity that will require several supplies. I would greatly appreciate if any generous souls would be willing to donate these items. Please email me: dowd@fultonschools.org if you have any additional quesitons.
We are also in dire need of extra pencils, markers, dry erase markers, and sanitation wipes. I would appreciate any donations for our kids!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Dowd Family!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment